This web site has been developed by Dr. Bevinje Srinivas Kakkilaya, a physician practicing at Mangaluru, the coastal city in Karnataka State, South India. This web site was first hosted on Geocities in 1999 and later on, as a stand-alone site in 2004.
Dr. BS Kakkilaya studied M.B.,B.S. at Kasturba Medical College, Mangaluru in 1987 -88 and then passed his M.D. in General Medicine from Karnatak Medical College, Hubli in 1992. He has been practicing as a physician in Mangaluru since 1992.
In July 1995, Dr. BS Kakkilaya, along with experts of Community Medicine from Kasturba Medical College, Mangaluru, initiated the Malaria Control Programme in the city and was appointed as the Secretary of the Malaria Control Action Committee by the then Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Bharathlal Meena. He has continued to contribute to the antimalaria campaign in Mangaluru whenever called for.
Currently, he is a co-investigator in the project titled Malaria Research Training in South India being conducted by the Kuvempu University Consortium, Shimoga, Karnataka, in collaboration with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, USA, and funded by the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA. He has also collaborated with the researchers at the ID-FISH, Inc., Palo Alto, California, USA in developing a novel FISH assay for the diagnosis of malaria on thin smears.
Malaria: Modern Day Management, authored by Dr BS Kakkilaya, has been published by Macmillan Medical Communications in 2012. In 370 pages, this book provides a concise review of pathogenesis of malaria; exhaustive description of clinical manifestations, typical and atypical; comprehensive analysis of diagnostic tests and their utility; authentic details of treatment, based on the recommendations of WHO, NVBDCP-India and CDC, US; detailed description of complications and their management as well as details of control measures, prevention strategies, and future prospects. The chapters of the book are: The Problem of Malaria, Transmission, Life Cycle and Pathogenesis, Clinical Manifestations of Malaria, Diagnosis of Malaria, Treatment of Malaria, Severe Malaria, Control of Malaria, Prevention of Malaria, Future Prospects with Appendices on Diagnostic methods, .Antimalarial drugs, Districts/PHCs with chloroquine-resistant P. falciparum malaria and Clinical examination of severe malaria.
He had visited the University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas, U.S.A., in February 2000 for discussions on setting up collaborative research in malaria and other communicable diseases and as a result, a Regional Research Centre for Communicable Diseases was set up at K.S. Hegde Medical Academy in August, 2000. He has also presented posters on malaria control initiative in Mangaluru and investigation into the Leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal at the New Challenges in Tropical Medicine and Parasitology conference held at Oxford, UK on Sep 18-22, 2000.
His fortnightly column on health related issues, titled Arogya Ashaya, is being published in Vijaya Karnataka, the leading Kannada Daily, since June 2012.
His Kannada book, Flu Endu Hedaruvireke, (Why fear the Flu?) has seen two prints and has been awarded the first Dr. Chandrappa Gowda Prize for Best Medical Literature 2010 by the Karnataka Sangha, Shivamogga.
He is the Chief Editor of the Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences (www.ojhas.org), the first peer-reviewed, online only biomedical journal of India being published since 2002, that is archived in Open Access archives like Cogprints, HINARI, Open Med, Scopus, DOAJ etc.
He has also developed a website for promotion of Rational Medical Practice, available at http://www.rationalmedicine.org
A documentary on filariasis scripted by him has been telecast on the UGC channel of Doordarshan. A 13 part feature Aarogya Sampada scripted by him was aired on All India Radio, Mangaluru in 2001 and later from AIR, Madikeri.
He is the Secretary of Dhrithi Foundation, a charitable Trust established to support the cause of education.
He has been a speaker at several CME and other programs on healthcare and rationalism in different parts of Karnataka and Kerala.
His academic publications/presentations are listed below:
- Kiran K. Dayanand, Punnath Kishore, Valleesha Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Susanta K. Ghosh, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Suchetha N. Kumari, Satyanarayan Tiwari, Archith Boloor, Rajeshwari Devi, D. Channe Gowda. Malaria Severity in Mangaluru City in the Southwestern Coastal Region of India. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Feb 2019;100(2):275-279. Abstract
- Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Suchetha Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. Malaria prevalence in Mangaluru city area in the southwestern coastal region of India. Malaria Journal. 2017;16:492 Published: 19 December 2017. Full Text | PDF | https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-017-2141-0
- M. Vishnu Sharma, B. Srinivas Kakkilaya, Irfan A. Shekh, Alka C. Bhat, D.S. Harsha. A rare cause for a common symptom. Breathe. 2016 12: e64-e74; DOI: 10.1183/20734735.006716. Full Text at http://breathe.ersjournals.com/content/12/3/e64
- Srinivasa B. Kakkilaya, Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Channe D. Gowda. Malaria Prevalence in The Urban Areas of Mangaluru in South India. Poster No. 923. American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 65th Annual Meeting, November 13–17, 2016, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Abstract Book. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. November 2016;95(5):Supplement. p 290. Available at https://www.astmh.org/ASTMH/media/Documents/ASTMH-2016-Annual-Meeting-Abstract-Book.pdf
- Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Sathyanarayan N. Tiwari, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Sudarshan S. Kadambi and D. Channe Gowda. Malaria Transmission Under an Unusual Circumstance Causing Death in Two Siblings. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016;16-0082 Published online May 2, 2016, doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0082. Available at http://www.ajtmh.org/content/early/2016/04/28/ajtmh.16-0082.abstract
- Jyotsna Shah, Olivia Mark, Helena Weltman, Nicolas Barcelo, Wai Lo, Danuta Wronska, Srinivas Kakkilaya, Aravinda Rao, Shalia T. Bhat, Ruchi Sinha, Sabah Omar, Peter O’bare, Manuel Moro, Robert H. Gilman, Nick Harris. Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) Assays for Diagnosing Malaria in Endemic Areas. PLOS One. September 2, 2015. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0136726. Full Text at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0136726
- Kakunje A, Angri SB, Kakkilaya BS, Puthran SS. Headscarf (hijab) pin aspiration: effects of fashion phenomenon in Islam girls. AP J Psychological Medicine July-Dec 2014;15(2):179-80. At http://www.apjpm.org/images/thumbs/apjpm-july-dec-2014.pdf [See]
- Padukone S, Devaraju PB, Puttaswamy R, Kakkilaya BS, Ghosh SK, Gowda CD, Achur RN. Control Measures and Malaria Persistence in Mangalore City in South-Western India. In Proceedings of Advances in Plasmodium vivax Malaria Research, At CosmoCaixa, Barcelona, Spain [See]
- Shah JS, Weltman H, Mark O, Barcelo N, Harris N, Caoili E, Kakkilaya S, Kedige AR, Gilman R. Fluorescent In-Situ Hybridizations Assays (P-Genus and PFV- FISH) for Detection and Differentiation of Plasmodium Species Directly on Blood Smears. Abstract 3207. Am Soc Trop Med Hyg. Annual Meet Nov 18–22, 2009. Washington. [List of Abstracts]
- Kakkilaya BS. Insulin Resistance: From theory to practice. Online J Health Allied Scs.2006;1:1 [Full Text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS. Rational Medicine. Physician’s Digest. Apr-May 2006;15(1):87-91
- Kakkilaya BS. Rational Medicine: Need of the hour. Calicut Medical Journal. 2004;2(3):e(1) [Full text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS. Rapid Diagnosis of Malaria. Lab Medicine. 2003 Aug;8(34):602-608 [Full Text Online]
- Ananth N, Praveenkumar GS, Rao AK, Vasanthi, Kakkilaya BS. Two cases of hereditary fructose intolerance. Ind Journal Clin Biochem. 2003;18(2):87-92 [Full Text Online]
- Balasaraswathy P, Kakkilaya BS, Shetty KM, Parameshwaraiah S. A case of diabetes mellitus with xanthoma disseminatum. Ind J Dermatol. 2002;47(1):29-31. [Full Text Online]
- Kakkilaya BS, Balasaraswathy P, Motha B. Leptospirosis and Ground Itch. Tropical Doctor. 2001 October 31;252
- Kakkilaya BS, Rao R, Motha B, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. Ind Journal Comm Health. 2001;7(1&2):1-11
- Kakkilaya BS. Methemoglobinemia due to p-chloroaniline. J Forensic Med Toxicol. 2001 Jan-Jun;18(1):4-5
- Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Effect of a community centered voluntary initiative for malaria control in Mangalore. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 159
- Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 139
©malariasite.com ©BS Kakkilaya | Last Updated: Feb 16, 2019