This web site has been developed by Dr. Bevinje Srinivas Kakkilaya, a physician practicing at Mangaluru, the coastal city in Karnataka State, South India. This web site was first hosted on Geocities in 1999 and later on, as a stand-alone site in 2004.
Dr. BS Kakkilaya studied M.B.,B.S. at Kasturba Medical College, Mangaluru in 1987 -88 and then passed his M.D. in General Medicine from Karnatak Medical College, Hubli in 1992. He has been practicing as a physician in Mangaluru since 1992.
In July 1995, Dr. BS Kakkilaya, along with experts of Community Medicine from Kasturba Medical College, Mangaluru, initiated the Malaria Control Programme in the city and was appointed as the Secretary of the Malaria Control Action Committee by the then Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Bharathlal Meena. He has continued to contribute to the antimalaria campaign in Mangaluru whenever called for.
Currently, he is a co-investigator in the project titled Malaria Research Training in South India being conducted by the Kuvempu University Consortium, Shimoga, Karnataka, in collaboration with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, USA, and funded by the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA. He has also collaborated with the researchers at the ID-FISH, Inc., Palo Alto, California, USA in developing a novel FISH assay for the diagnosis of malaria on thin smears.
Malaria: Modern Day Management, authored by Dr BS Kakkilaya, has been published by Macmillan Medical Communications in 2012. In 370 pages, this book provides a concise review of pathogenesis of malaria; exhaustive description of clinical manifestations, typical and atypical; comprehensive analysis of diagnostic tests and their utility; authentic details of treatment, based on the recommendations of WHO, NVBDCP-India and CDC, US; detailed description of complications and their management as well as details of control measures, prevention strategies, and future prospects. The chapters of the book are: The Problem of Malaria, Transmission, Life Cycle and Pathogenesis, Clinical Manifestations of Malaria, Diagnosis of Malaria, Treatment of Malaria, Severe Malaria, Control of Malaria, Prevention of Malaria, Future Prospects with Appendices on Diagnostic methods, .Antimalarial drugs, Districts/PHCs with chloroquine-resistant P. falciparum malaria and Clinical examination of severe malaria.
He had visited the University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas, U.S.A., in February 2000 for discussions on setting up collaborative research in malaria and other communicable diseases and as a result, a Regional Research Centre for Communicable Diseases was set up at K.S. Hegde Medical Academy in August, 2000. He has also presented posters on malaria control initiative in Mangaluru and investigation into the Leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal at the New Challenges in Tropical Medicine and Parasitology conference held at Oxford, UK on Sep 18-22, 2000.
His fortnightly column on health related issues, titled Arogya Ashaya, is being published in Vijaya Karnataka, the leading Kannada Daily, since June 2012.
His Kannada book, Flu Endu Hedaruvireke, (Why fear the Flu?) has seen two prints and has been awarded the first Dr. Chandrappa Gowda Prize for Best Medical Literature 2010 by the Karnataka Sangha, Shivamogga.
He is the Chief Editor of the Online Journal of Health and Allied Sciences (www.ojhas.org), the first peer-reviewed, online only biomedical journal of India being published since 2002, that is archived in Open Access archives like Cogprints, HINARI, Open Med, Scopus, DOAJ etc.
He has also developed a website for promotion of Rational Medical Practice, available at http://www.rationalmedicine.org
A documentary on filariasis scripted by him has been telecast on the UGC channel of Doordarshan. A 13 part feature Aarogya Sampada scripted by him was aired on All India Radio, Mangaluru in 2001 and later from AIR, Madikeri.
He is the Secretary of Dhrithi Foundation, a charitable Trust established to support the cause of education.
He has been a speaker at several CME and other programs on healthcare and rationalism in different parts of Karnataka and Kerala.
His academic publications/presentations are listed below:
- Acquired antibody responses against merozoite surface protein-119 antigen during Plasmodium falciparum and P.vivax infections in South Indian city of Mangaluru. Kishore Punnath, Kiran K. Dayanand, Vishal Midya, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Suchetha N. Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. J Parasit Dis. 2021;45:176–190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12639-020-01288-4 Available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12639-020-01288-4
- Palmar Erythema as the Sole Manifestation of COVID-19. Panambur Balasaraswathy, Kakkilaya Srinivas B. Cureus. November 02, 2020;12(11): e11291. doi:10.7759/cureus.11291. Available at https://www.cureus.com/articles/44181-palmar-erythema-as-the-sole-manifestation-of-covid-19
- Clinical Features and Haematological Parameters among Malaria Patients in Mangaluru City Area in the Southwestern Coastal Region of India. Kishore Punnath, Kiran K. Dayanand, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Benudhar Mukhi, Vishal Midya, Suchetha N. Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. Parasitology Research 2020 Mar;119(3):1043-1056. doi:10.1007/S00436-019-06540-2. Available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00436-019-06540-2
- Association between Inflammatory Cytokine Levels and Thrombocytopenia during Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax Infections in South-Western Coastal Region of India. Kishore Punnath, Kiran K. Dayanand, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Suchetha N. Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. Malaria Research and Treatment. Vol. 2019, Article ID 4296523, 10 pages, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/4296523 Available at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mrt/2019/4296523/
- Malarial anemia among pregnant women in the south-westerncoastal city of Mangaluru in India. Chandrashekar, Valleesha N., Kishore Punnath, Kiran K. Dayanand, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Poornima Jayadev, Suchetha N. Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. Informatics in Medicine Unlocked Feb 2019. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imu.2019.02.003.
- Malaria Severity in Mangaluru City in the Southwestern Coastal Region of India. Kiran K. Dayanand, Punnath Kishore, Valleesha Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Susanta K. Ghosh, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Suchetha N. Kumari, Satyanarayan Tiwari, Archith Boloor, Rajeshwari Devi, D. Channe Gowda. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Feb 2019;100(2):275-279. Abstract
- Malaria prevalence in Mangaluru city area in the southwestern coastal region of India. Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Suchetha Kumari, D. Channe Gowda. Malaria Journal. 2017;16:492 Published: 19 December 2017. Full Text | PDF | https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-017-2141-0
- A rare cause for a common symptom. Breathe. M. Vishnu Sharma, B. Srinivas Kakkilaya, Irfan A. Shekh, Alka C. Bhat, D.S. Harsha. 2016 12: e64-e74; DOI: 10.1183/20734735.006716. Full Text at http://breathe.ersjournals.com/content/12/3/e64
- Malaria Prevalence in The Urban Areas of Mangaluru in South India. Srinivasa B. Kakkilaya, Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Channe D. Gowda. Poster No. 923. American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 65th Annual Meeting, November 13–17, 2016, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Abstract Book. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. November 2016;95(5):Supplement. p 290. Available at https://www.astmh.org/ASTMH/media/Documents/ASTMH-2016-Annual-Meeting-Abstract-Book.pdf
- Malaria Transmission Under an Unusual Circumstance Causing Death in Two Siblings. Kiran K. Dayanand, Kishore Punnath, Valleesha N. Chandrashekar, Srinivas B. Kakkilaya, Susanta K. Ghosh, Sathyanarayan N. Tiwari, Rajeshwara N. Achur, Sudarshan S. Kadambi and D. Channe Gowda. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2016;16-0082 Published online May 2, 2016, doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.16-0082. Available at http://www.ajtmh.org/content/early/2016/04/28/ajtmh.16-0082.abstract
- Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) Assays for Diagnosing Malaria in Endemic Areas. Jyotsna Shah, Olivia Mark, Helena Weltman, Nicolas Barcelo, Wai Lo, Danuta Wronska, Srinivas Kakkilaya, Aravinda Rao, Shalia T. Bhat, Ruchi Sinha, Sabah Omar, Peter O’bare, Manuel Moro, Robert H. Gilman, Nick Harris. PLOS One. September 2, 2015. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0136726. Full Text at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0136726
- Headscarf (hijab) pin aspiration: effects of fashion phenomenon in Islam girls. Kakunje A, Angri SB, Kakkilaya BS, Puthran SS. AP J Psychological Medicine July-Dec 2014;15(2):179-80. At http://www.apjpm.org/images/thumbs/apjpm-july-dec-2014.pdf [See]
- Control Measures and Malaria Persistence in Mangalore City in South-Western India. Padukone S, Devaraju PB, Puttaswamy R, Kakkilaya BS, Ghosh SK, Gowda CD, Achur RN. In Proceedings of Advances in Plasmodium vivax Malaria Research, At CosmoCaixa, Barcelona, Spain [See]
- Epidemiology of Malaria in South-Western Region of India. Devaraju PB, Padukone S, Puttaswamy R, Kakkilaya BS, Ghosh SK, Gowda CD, Achur RN. In Proceedings of Advances in Plasmodium vivax Malaria Research, At CosmoCaixa, Barcelona, Spain [See]
- Fluorescent In-Situ Hybridizations Assays (P-Genus and PFV- FISH) for Detection and Differentiation of Plasmodium Species Directly on Blood Smears.Shah JS, Weltman H, Mark O, Barcelo N, Harris N, Caoili E, Kakkilaya S, Kedige AR, Gilman R. Abstract 3207. Am Soc Trop Med Hyg. Annual Meet Nov 18–22, 2009. Washington. [List of Abstracts]
- Insulin Resistance: From theory to practice. Kakkilaya BS. Online J Health Allied Scs.2006;1:1 [Full Text Online]
- Rational Medicine. Kakkilaya BS. Physician’s Digest. Apr-May 2006;15(1):87-91
- Rational Medicine: Need of the hour. Kakkilaya BS. Calicut Medical Journal. 2004;2(3):e(1) [Full text Online]
- Rapid Diagnosis of Malaria. Kakkilaya BS. Lab Medicine. 2003 Aug;8(34):602-608 [Full Text Online]
- Two cases of hereditary fructose intolerance. Ananth N, Praveenkumar GS, Rao AK, Vasanthi, Kakkilaya BS. Ind Journal Clin Biochem. 2003;18(2):87-92 [Full Text Online]
- A case of diabetes mellitus with xanthoma disseminatum. Balasaraswathy P, Kakkilaya BS, Shetty KM, Parameshwaraiah S. Ind J Dermatol. 2002;47(1):29-31. [Full Text Online]
- Leptospirosis and Ground Itch. Kakkilaya BS, Balasaraswathy P, Motha B. Tropical Doctor. 2001 October 31;252
- Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. Kakkilaya BS, Rao R, Motha B, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. Ind Journal Comm Health. 2001;7(1&2):1-11
- Methemoglobinemia due to p-chloroaniline. Kakkilaya BS. J Forensic Med Toxicol. 2001 Jan-Jun;18(1):4-5
- Effect of a community centered voluntary initiative for malaria control in Mangalore. Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 159
- Investigation of a leptospirosis outbreak in Surathkal. Kakkilaya BS, Motha B, Rajeev, Venugopalan PP, Karunasagar I. In Bundy D, Warrel D, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee. Final programme and abstract book, Oxford 2000, New Challenges in tropical medicine and parasitology, 2000 Sep 18-22; Oxford. Cheshire: Complete Congress Services Ltd; 2000. p. 139
©malariasite.com ©BS Kakkilaya | Last Updated: Oct 11, 2021